Sunday, October 12, 2014

Blog Post #8

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?
By: Chelsea Powers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Pausch

When I first seen this assignment I thought to myself, who is Randy Pausch? I opened the video "The last Lecture" and seen it was almost one hour and a half, to be honest I thought to myself.... How am I going to be able to sit through this whole lecture. Wow, was I wrong!!! My eyes were fixated on the screen. I did not just watch the video once but twice. In Randy's video he starts out by talking about his diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. He makes it very clear that he does not want sympathy from anyone and even makes a joke by doing push-ups.

Randy Paush Life Quotes

Randy Pausch talks about living out his childhood dreams. He started out by wanting to be in zero gravity, being an author in the World Book Encyclopedia, Captain Kirk, To one of the guys that wins all the enormous stuffed animals. He even got a chance to work with Walt Disney Imagineers. Randy discussed how in some way, shape or form he managed to conquer all of his dreams. He then goes on to talk about becoming a professor and how fulfilling it is to help others live out their childhood dreams.

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”
-Randy Pausch


I really liked this quote from Randy Pausch. No matter the circumstances he never seemed to give up! This man has really inspired me and made me look at life in a very different way. If everyone would have more of his morals and values in life I believe we would be much better off. I would advise anyone that has not listened to The Last Lecture to please do so and see if your outlook on life changes.

3 comments:

  1. Chelsea,
    I also really loved Randy Pausch's lecture and learned a lot from it. He is very inspirational and has shown me that it is important to never give up even when things do not work out in your favor. The quote that you shared really relates to that. I enjoyed your post, I would just say to work on grammar a little bit. For example, in your first paragraph, you used "seen" when you should have used "saw" a few times. If you fix these little mistakes, your posts will improve tremendously! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chelsea,
    I just wanted to mention that you may also want to double-check to be sure you address the questions in the instructions and have a source in the title of your photos! Other than that, this is a good post! I absolutely love Randy Pausch's lecture as well, and I've watched it several times. He really is an inspiring person that we can all gain a lot from. It's so sad that he was losing his battle with cancer, but the legacy he left behind is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When I first seen this assignment …" saw, not seen

    The assignment was: "What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?

    NOTE: The question asks you to address what we can learn about teaching and learning!

    Watch Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture. Think about the teaching
    methods he advocated and used at Carnegie-Mellon. This video is also available on YouTube.

    Answer the question in a post that adheres to the standards found in the ACCRS and in Writing A Quality Blog Post. '

    You do not address the question.

    What about head fakes, raising the bar, project based learning, accepting critiques, brick walls, persistence, have fun, childlike wonder, ask for advice from peers and PLN, staying curious, being a life long learner?

    ReplyDelete